Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Ushuaia - Fin del Mundo

Hola
Yesterday has been quite frantic and stressful day(it should not be but hey, I cannot help it). I underestimated the traffic and distance to the airport and managed to show up only 30 minutes before the flight. First, the cab driver dropped me off at the wrong terminal, C, then it was a mad dash to the correct terminal, A, located far, far away. I quickly discovered that running and pushing a luggage cart loaded with a bicycle box, a trailer box and a duffle bag is not the easiest. And to challenge me furthermore, several small concrete markers are scared around to slow me down and to make me move sideways with the bike box. It was like an obstacle course.  To my surprise and during my mad dash to the Terminal A, Giselle happened to be at the airport. She was kind enough to assist me in my running. Arriving breathless at the LAN Argentina counter and to be told I could not board the flight and that the next available flight would be on Friday. As I kindly declined their offer, they reimbursed me the ticket (nice gesture). As Aerolineas Argentinas has several daily flights to Ushuaia, I pushed my cart back to Terminal C to inquire about ticket availability and pricing. Once I manoeuvre the obstacle course once more but at a slower pace, I am told the ticketing office is located in Terminal B.What?!?  Once at the Terminal B ticketing office, they priced the ticket. A bit expensive and decide to walk back to C to check with Austral Airlines, not knowing that Austral and Aerolineas  Argentinas are the same company, we walked back to C to be told to go back to B to purchase a ticket for tomorrow and be stand by for today. The ticket was double of the price I originally paid and I had to pay for the overweigh luggage too. So back to C for the check-in. Being totally inefficient, they cannot check you in and proceed the overweight charge with the same person, you have to go the end of the check in counters to paid to another teller and get your boarding pass. Gladly, Giselle was there to help with the translation in the process, since not many airport staff speak English. So I waved good-bye to Giselle and went in the lounge for stand-by.
 I quickly realized that I did not stand a fair chance since there were several other people trying to get on the flight. First flight out, no luck. Must return to the check-in counter to get new ticket. Informed to return at 2:30pm. This time I showed up first at the counter and make sure they do not forget me. I was in-their-face the entire time. 15 minutes before take-off, they make me go on a bus with an airline staff in case there was a seat available. I patiently waited in the bus while they did a final count onboard the aircraft. Finally, after long minutes, the lady reappeared and did a quick hand move to signal to come up. Yes, i am going to Ushuaia. As for the luggage, it will follow tomorrow. Hopefully.
Flying over Ushuaia was spectacular, the sun was out and shining and the snowcap mountains were showing their best features and the lakes and rivers seem to be made of liquid gold. Too bad as I did not have a window seat to be able to take photos.
Once in Ushuaia, I had the pleasure to get a Lost Luggage report( but had no concierge to give it to J) and to find out, to my astonishment,  that my duffle bag had arrived on the morning flight. Amazing. So happy!!!!!! The bike and trailer are enjoying an extra vacation day in BA.
Once settled at the hostel, I took a walk down Av. San Martin, the main strip of Ushuaia. Many memories gave back to me from the time the Symphony was in port on January 1st and 2nd, 2010.
So today, it is pouring rain. I am shopping around for a last minute Antarctica cruise. So far, some good deal s are around but I must keep on shopping. Let see...

No comments:

Post a Comment